Returning Home!

Monday, September 22, 2014

[No Subject]

Another week here in Owensboro, Kentucky! 

Lots happened this week...... for one, I locked the car keys in our trunk one night before a dinner appointment. We had to call a bunch of different members to figure out what to do. We eventually got our branch president to call his AAA, and they came and saved us. Funny enough, our dinner appt. was with him and his wife. haha. I'm such a ditz. First the tow truck/mud incident, and now this. 

One day this week we got our 20 contacts! (Meaning, we talked to 20 random people on the street.) That's the general daily standard for the entire mission, but it's rare that we ever get all 20, but we did on Wednesday, and it turned out to be our best day of the week! We got a lot done that day. We've been going to town finding new investigators and talking to people. Lots of potentials!

The Lord has definitely blessed us for our effort this week. We've been struggling lately because all of our main investigators have been floundering and falling off the face of the earth. But the Lord blessed us last night with a pretty golden investigator. We knocked on the door of a less active, but a different guy answered, and we ended up teaching him all of Lesson 1 (The Restoration) and setting a baptism date for November 8th! It was great! I'm looking forward to teaching him and seeing him progress! He was the most solid investigator I've seen yet here in Owensboro. :) I'm hoping he turns into another Josue (from my first area!).... ok, not exactly like Josue, but you know what I mean! He was solid! :) 

We also received the BEST compliment this last week! So, the Saturday before last, we dropped in to visit Karen, our less active who quit smoking (Day 22!!!) with the 15 Step Program, and she ended up having 4-5 seizures while we were there. Her two sons showed up, and we stayed with her for a while even after they showed up and all was well. We just wanted to make sure she was ok. Anyway, a few days later we went by to see her again and she said, "You really impressed my son Kurt. He told me, 'Mom, those two sister missionaries really love you. They stayed with you even after Jimmy and I showed up. They really believe in what they're doing. And they're just as beautiful inside as they are outside!'" I just LOVED hearing that! It made me realize that we're doing what we can as imperfect human beings to be examples of Christ. I didn't think much of it as we sat there with her that Saturday, but apparently it made a big impression on her son. 

Then, as we were about to leave after that visit, I said something along the lines of, "Well, Heavenly Father loves them (meaning, her sons) too." And she told me, "Yeah, but I don't think they really believed it until they met you two." :D 

There are lots of miracles happening daily in the mission field all over the world. I can't believe I've been given this privilege of being a missionary at this time in the history of the world. I have a front row seat to this marvelous work the Lord is performing! My mind is expanding daily. As I read the scriptures and learn from others, I'm always given a confirmation of the truth of it all by the Holy Ghost. I know as we continue to read our scriptures, learn, and pray about the things we are learning, the Spirit will always be there to tell us what is right and what is wrong. 

I can't believe I am a missionary! I can believe it, but at the same time I can't believe the Lord would grant me such a sacred privilege. The Plan of Salvation makes more sense with every passing day as I work and study. Heavenly Father really knows what He's doing! He has a plan for each and every one of us. This morning I was reading in Jesus the Christ by James E. Talmage, and I read an interesting thought: Heavenly Father knows the disposition and personality of each and every one of His children because of careful observation through infinite time in the premortal life. He knows us. He has a plan for each and every single one of us. He knows what we need, what we will most likely do in a given situation because of our weaknesses or strengths, what we want.... He knows everything! And He has a plan. Learn about it. Grow closer to Heavenly Father. Learn of Him and His Son, Jesus Christ through prayer and scripture study. 

I could just write forever! I love the Gospel! I love this work! It really is a "marvelous work and a wonder." I stand in awe at how amazing it all is. I know it's all true! 

Love, Hermana Porter

No comments:

Post a Comment