Returning Home!

Monday, March 31, 2014

Baptism, Baptists, Branch Conference - Oh my!

Welp! Transfer calls have been made. Hermana Lawrence is getting transferred. D: Sad day, but I knew it was coming. As for the rest of our district, our District Leader, Elder Edwards, is going Zone Leader, and then Elder Earl became our new District Leader. Then Elder Lefevre is getting transferred. So basically our whole district is going to transfer meeting tomorrow. haha.
I'm sad to hear that Dad's been in the hospital all week. When I left the library last week, I didn't know what was going on, so I've been praying that things would be okay. Keep me updated.
HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY TO BRADON!!! You're cool brotato chip!
As for my week...let's see...what happened.... Oh! I remember! JOSUE GOT BAPTIZED!!! WOOHOO!!! Finally! It's been a long time coming, but it happened! He got baptized Saturday night around 5:45 (it was supposed to start at 5:00, but Mexican Standard Time + Mormon Standard Time = yikes). Lots of people came! Even some of his nonmember friends came and supported him. It was great!
The baptism went off without a hitch. Everyone was super excited and happy for him. Of course a few things could've gone better (none of the baptismal suits fit him, so he had to wear a size XXXL.... he looked like a cholo), but the important thing was that the Spirit was there. We had two people come up to him after who said that they were next. Yay! Lots more work to do. I tried really hard to make sure everyone was reverent and quiet when they went into the room with the baptismal font. The Spirit was definitely there. I love being a missionary!
Yesterday we had Branch Conference, but the way they did it was weird. They combined both the English and Spanish branches. We had all the translation equipment ready to go, but somehow the power cord got lost....so we couldn't use any of it. The Stake President (President Porter...haha) wasn't too happy because someone had to stand up front and translate after every few sentences he said. Meh. But I enjoyed it. I actually participated in one of the classes and understood what was going on! It's a weird moment to realize, "Huh. I know Spanish." I like it! But it's still weird.
But anyway, I loved Branch Conference because we talked about the 5 Prophetic Priorities. I don't know if it's something they're talking about in your wards, but it's a list of 5 things that we should be making priorities in our lives: 1. Hastening the Work of Salvation 2. Reach Out and Rescue 3. Strengthening Families Through the Priesthood 4. Come Follow Me and 5. Family History and Temple Work. It was fantastic. The main thing I got out of it is this: We have been blessed with testimonies from God about the truth (Dieter F. Uchtdorf said: "In many, many cases He entrusts a testimony of the truth to those who will share it with others."), so our responsibility as members is to share it with others. There's a scripture in the Bible that says something along the lines of, "And when ye have been converted, strengthen thy brethren." Help others come to the same knowledge that you've gained! Help them gain testimonies!
Oh also we watched the Women's Conference on Saturday night while we were in New Albany after the baptism. It was awesome!! Just what I needed to hear. I loved every part of it. :) 

Earlier this week we volunteered at a Baptist Food Ministry. We helped pass out drinks during a free dinner night. Lots of people were talking to us and asking who we were. Surprisingly a lot of them already knew who we were because missionaries had helped them in the past with this or that. I love it when other missionaries and member give us a good rep! Thank you! :)
I also got a haircut today. Sister Van Uitert did it. I have straight across bangs again, but I kept the length. She just fixed what the people at Fantastic Sam's messed up last time. haha.
So that was my week! Missionary life is a busy one. One second you're just getting here, barely speaking Spanish, the next you're already 6 months old and taking over an area. And President & Sister Woodbury leave in just TWO TRANSFERS. It's crazy! They leaves at my halfway mark. I don't even know how time is flying so fast. I just don't get it. I'm going to have to have a talk with Heavenly Father someday and ask why it flies so quickly here on earth. He's probably got a good reason. I just wanna know. :)
Keep it real!

Love, 
Hermana Porter

No comments:

Post a Comment