Returning Home!

Monday, June 30, 2014

Welcome to Owensboro!

What city is the fast food capital of the nation? What city is the home of Johnny Depp and his family? In which city is the Kentucky Motor Speedway located?

Welcome to Owensboro yall!

Leaving my beloved Hikes was so rough. Hermana Carnahan and I stayed up talking about our transfer together and about everything we learned. I miss that girl! She and I will be friends forever! I learned so much from her, and we had sooo much fun together! I hope she's doing well. I hope Hikes is doing well! 

Now I'm in Owensboro, Kentucky! I'm an hour behind Louisville's time, which is weird. Owensboro is in eastern Kentucky, by Evansville. I'm in the "Forgotten Evansville Zone." It's sooooo different from my other zones.... Not in a good way. We have a history of apostate missionaries here, which is rough. Luckily the elders we have here right now are all hardworking and obedient. Some of the stuff I heard about the past elders though makes me sick. BE OBEDIENT! It's not hard!! Anyway, we're called the "Forgotten Evansville Zone" because we're soooo far away from Louisville, and we're the last to hear about anything. We're not very united as a zone either, which is a huge bummer. No pride! My first District Leader, Elder Edwards, is now my Zone Leader. Also, fun fact! My trainer opened up this area that I'm in now! So I get to continue doing the work she started. :) 

Owensboro Spanish is interesting. We don't have any Cubans out here, which is a bummer. Lots of Mexicans and some Guatemalans. Doesn't really vary from that though. We have one bap date at the moment and working on another, but we really need to find some more people. My companion is going home this next transfer. She's in the big group of 11 hermanas going home, including my trainer, Hermana Lawrence. We get along just fine and laugh a lot. Really nice :) She's from Heber City, UT. 

When I got the call to leave Hikes last week, I was pretty devastated and upset. I couldn't understand why I was only allowed to stay there a transfer, and although I still don't understand it, I definitely feel like I am meant to be here in Owensboro. I'm still trying to figure everything out, but I know the Lord needed me here for a specific purpose. I don't know what it is yet, but I'm finding something new everyday that I want to change in this area. I'm going to work hard these next few transfers here!! 

One of my purposes here I think is to improve member missionary work. I am serving in a small English branch here, and me and my companion translate the meetings into Spanish. I was freaked out about doing that at first, but I actually love it! My Spanish is so much better than I thought it was! I love it! :) But anyway, we do a lot of work with the English members, which is very different than my last two areas. We have two other sets of Elders in our branch with us. One companionship lives right next door to us, so they're always knocking on our door to borrow stuff. Kind of bugging me, but they're cool. I'm just glad they're not apostate. 

Annnyway, our members here are great, but they're a little....lackluster when it comes to missionary work. We are going to start a new 8 week class called the M&MTC (Member Missionary Training Center) to help them better understand how to do missionary work. Elder Dahle, one of the new elders, said it worked wonders in his last branch he was serving in. We definitely think this is the key to getting the members more involved in the work! They are really pushing to turn into a ward, but it's not going to happen unless we get the members involved in the work! It's going to take a LOT of work, but we just had a new branch president put in, and he's very enthusiastic about it. Pray for us here in the Owensboro branch! 

I'm going to end this before it gets too long! But just know that I'm safe and happy here in Owensboro. I can't believe the time is flying so quickly. I'm going to make the best use of my time here and do what the Lord wants me to do. Pray for me! I love you all! 

Hermana Porter

P.S. I was blow drying my hair yesterday and all of the sudden my blow dryer started spitting fire balls at my hair....needless to say, I don't have a blow dryer anymore. 

No comments:

Post a Comment