Returning Home!

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Of Fish, Octopus, and Shrimp

Greetings from Corydon!
Our pday got switched to today because we had interviews with President Woodbury yesterday. Hence, I'm writing today :) Interviews were fantastic. It was bittersweet though because it was our last time getting interviews from President before he leaves in July. :( He really took his time to talk to each of us yesterday. I really needed it. Not that I have issues or anything, but it was just nice to hear certain things from President about the work we're doing (or trying to do) here in Corydon.

It's been hard here for a while. I'm not kidding when I say Corydon's the weirdest area in the mission, especially as far as Spanish work goes. We have a branch, and it comprises itself of about 40% of the hispanics in the Corydon area. The rest of the hispanics in the area are all former investigators or have talked to the hermanas before. We've been working on contacting potentials this entire transfer to find new people to teach, and so far we've only got one new investigator. I told President Woodbury that we area really trying hard to find new people, but nobody's interested still. We're taking hope in the fact that people change constantly. Hopefully one of these people we visit are ready to hear our message. I talked to Pres. about it, and he understands. He said to keep working hard but "don't worry." Knowing me, you can imagine the relief I felt after talking to him. President and Sister Woodbury are GEMS. I can't say it enough. They are some of the best people I know. I'm sad that they're leaving so soon.

I also hit my 6 month mark this week. WHAT. I have LESS THAN ONE YEAR LEFT. When did this happen?! Wasn't I just giving my farewell talk?! Wasn't I just in the MTC? I just don't get it.
As for investigators, William is doing great! He's completely given up drinking, which is a miracle in itself considering how much he used to drink before! We just need to talk to him about the law of chastity, and once he starts living it, he'll be good to go! :) We also have Maria Elena, who is just a gem. She came to church again on Sunday, and she participated in Relief Society SO much. She's great!
AND!!!! JOSUE GOT THE PRIESTHOOD!!!! He even blessed the sacrament! It's just so funny/great to see the change in him. Two months ago, he told us that he'd never get baptized, never wear a white shirt or tie to church, never teach the Gospel... and now he's doing all of that and more! He's doing great! I love seeing his conversion in action. He's doing great. :)
We also had a great District Meeting last week that I really needed. Elder Earl posed the questions: What do you want from your mission? and What do you want to leave behind? It was really powerful. Made me rethink a lot of things about my work here in the mission. It made me sad to think about having so little time left, yet so much work to do. I guess that's symbolic of life in general. There's still SO much work to be done here to build up the kingdom, yet we have SO little time left until Christ returns. I want to work my butt off as much as possible to make sure I can say I did my part and then some. I don't want to come home and go back to who I used to be before. Yall can hold me accountable to this when I get home: I'm going to be actively engaged in furthering the work in my ward or wherever I end up. I'm going to be a missionary forever! I can't NOT think about missionary work.... Everyone should be thinking about missionary work and what they can do to help out! Everyone has a part and can be doing something. Get on it!!! (please)
I feel like I'm understanding more and more each day why RMs have such a hard time adjusting to the real world when they get home. Every single part of my life now is emerged in missionary work. I kind of don't want to go back to school and deal with money, jobs, yada yada. I know it'll be good, I just don't want to think about it right now. I love missionary work too much!! I hope my family is ready for it when I get home because we're going to go missionary crazy! Get ready! Get studying Preach My Gospel!!! :) You've been warned. (That's part of my calling as a missionary right? To warn the people?)
Funny story for the week: I had to eat an entire fish with it's eyeballs and bones still in it. I wanted to cry with every bite I took. I had to crack it all open with my hands and pick bones out of my mouth while I was eating it. It was better than the soup the person made. It had fish chopped right in half with shrimp and crab floating in fish oil.... yuck yuck yuck. Oh also I think I ate octopus the other day and didn't know it. DISGUSTING. #neveragain
But yeah, such is life! Pray for the work here in Corydon, especially William and Maria Elena! I love you all!!!!

Hermana Porter

No comments:

Post a Comment