Returning Home!

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Life in Louisville

First off, I forgot to tell you that I wasn't going to be writing til today because they changed our pday. As a zone, we got to go to the temple!! It was a refreshing experience. I was SO happy to be back in the temple. I miss going every week! We just went and enjoyed it and cherished the time there because we don't know when/if we'll be able to go back soon before we go home. President & Sister Woodbury came too! Sister Woodbury told us some neat stuff about temples because she and President used to be ordinance workers in the SLC temple. It was really unique, interesting things. :)
Second off, I LOVE LOUISVILLE! I love being in the city :) I know I've said it a million times, but I really do. I just thrive on city life. Yeah it's a little sketchy at times, but I never feel unsafe. Plus we're meeting TONS of new people from all over the world. There's this neighborhood we work in here, and there are people from Iraq, Bosnia, Africa, Cuba, Mexico, plus a bunch of Greeks, Arabics, etc. It's amazing! Kind of throws me off though because I'll start talking to them in Spanish or English and they won't speak either language.... Fun stuff!!
My area has its own unique challenges, but I feel like we're learning how to work with them. We do find a lot of new people, but it's just a matter of finding the ones that are going to investigate and get baptized and really take it seriously. Definitely getting a lot of practice teaching. :)
We had some really great experiences this last week. We've really tried to focus on teaching according to needs rather than just teaching a lesson. Sometimes we get in the routine of teaching a lesson as if the person is a wall, but we've really tried to focus on applying it to their lives. This week we taught a couple named Pablo & Maridelsy, and after we finished teaching all about the Restoration and the Book of Mormon, we gave him a copy of the Book of Mormon and he just held it to his chest, closed his eyes for a second, then looked at us and said, "Thank you." It was so precious! And they've been reading it non-stop everyday! Go Cubans! :) It was a really special experience. I really hope they keep going. We're going to see them again this weekend.
Our super solid investigator, Jose, is getting baptized in a few weeks! He's SUCH a good guy! He's from Bolivia, and his parents are going to get baptized in a while too. He's just a super prepared man. We're so happy for him!
One hard thing about Cubans is that they drink a loooot of orange juice...which I can't have. I've had at least 5 tall glasses of OJ in the last two weeks. It's killing me! Oh well. I carry my water bottle with me everywhere now (cause it's stinkin humid and hooooot!), so I just say I already have something to drink.
So yep, such is life! Just working, teaching, praying, finding, talking to a million different people, riding bikes.... We did exchanges with the Sister Training Leaders last week, and I was on a bike all day.... what an adventure. We haven't started riding bikes here yet because my comp hasn't had a bike yet, but we're going to. It's just getting really hot and humid. I hope my bike lasts. It's not the best bike....but I hope it'll do for now. Pray it'll be fine! I also have to go buy new shirts for summer because most of my wardrobe is winter stuff. Woof. This'll be fun!
But anywho! Not a whole lot of time left today because we got back from the temple later than planned. Just know I'm loving my area, I'm loving the people, the work is moving along, and you are all in my prayers! :) Adios from Kentucky!!!
Hermana Porter

No comments:

Post a Comment